St Nicholas Church, North Cotes
As a school, we are very lucky to regularly visit our local church, St Nicholas. We hold our Harvest Festival, Christingle, Easter and End of Year services in the church. It is a lovely opportunity for children, staff, familes and friends to come together, along with our vicar, Reverend Woadden, to celebrate each occasion. The children aslo have the opportunity to learn about the history of the church and the war graves in the churchyard.
The History of St Nicholas
The Grade II listed church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and is built of limestone, dating from the 13th Century, although mostly rebuilt in 1865 by James Fowler of Louth. The upper part of the font is 12th Century and the lower part 19th Century. There is a medieval scheduled standing cross with square base in St Nicholas churchyard, believed to be in its original position.
During the Second World War, there was a Royal Air Force station at North Cotes and buried in St Nicholas churchyard are 31 airmen of the Commonwealth Air Forces and Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm. The burials form a small plot which also includes the graves of three German airmen, one civilian and four service burials from between the wars associated with the RAF station. The churchyard also contains one First World War burial.
On the Friday nearest to Remembrance Sunday, the children of Class 2 pay their respects to the servicemen who lost their lives by placing crosses, flags and poppies in front of their gravestones and holding a 2 minute silence.
For more information about the war graves, please visit: http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/41589